Danielle Vogel opened Glen’s Garden Market to fight climate change.
Danielle Vogel comes from a long line of grocers, stretching back four generations. Before founding Glen’s, Danielle worked in government for ten years, as a policy adviser to both Democrats and Republicans in the House and Senate, as well as for the Department of Justice as an environmental litigator enforcing the Clean Air Act. When the effort to pass comprehensive climate legislation failed, she dedicated herself to finding a new, more incremental, way to address global warming: engaging her community in the Good Food movement. To date, Glen’s has launched 90 sustainability focused food businesses, of which over 55 are woman-owned and nearly 20 were founded by people of color. The store is solar powered and generates no food waste. Nearly everything on the shelves is sourced locally. Glen’s Garden Market is a truly activated community center. Danielle hosts a weekly radio show called Everyday Enviro about ways to reduce our personal carbon footprint, and she founded a business pitch competition called AccelerateHERdc, to identify, incubate and accelerate lady-led, sustainability minded, small-batch, local food companies.
Glen’s Garden Market exists to make climate change progress, one bite at a time, by growing relationships with producers, who treat their land, their animals and their ingredients with respect.
Prioritizing The Environment
Every business decision is made with the environment in mind, including:
- Sourcing: We source nearly everything in the store from sustainable producers within the states of the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
- Energy: We are 100 percent solar powered.
- Minimizing Food Waste: Our kitchen operates under a no-waste mandate, meaning everything must be repurposed, or, in a worst-case scenario, composted.
- Waste Streaming: We compost all of our organic waste, and invite our community to bring us their compost too – for free.
- Equipment: We source only the most energy efficient equipment available and, when possible, we retrofit it once it arrives to make it even more energy efficient.
Serving The Best Food In Our Region
We provide a selection of the very best foods in our region.
We are committed to elevating the experience of shopping for groceries, and we have built a community in the process!
Supporting Small Businesses
We actively support small, local producers who share our commitment to the environment.
We seek out and develop relationships with small, local producers who are just starting out, as well as those at the top of their craft, who are creating Good Food in our region. We have launched almost 90 food businesses by giving them their very first chance to sell their products on our shelves!